Welcome !

This blog is a record of running a 50 year old classic car as essential transport and for road trips.

It is here to prepare those who might be tempted to do the same, they require mental and physical stamina, tenacity and transportational back up (not necessarily in that order). It has been challenging, time consuming, frustrating, nerve wracking but very rewarding and enjoyable.

My Jensen CV8 is being driven, not stuck in a garage collecting dust, it is not a concours condition car, and in a lot of respects is showing its age, but it creates interest where ever I go and is great fun to drive.

This blog is dedicated to my family and friends who have to put up with the sweet(?) smell of oil and leather, car seats that only reach half way up your back, front seat belts that attempt to garrotte you every time you turn a corner at speed, and the need for ear defenders at any speed above 50 mph.

Friday 23 July 2010

Apologies for the interruption to the blog, I've had a few foreign trips that have eaten into social diarising time. Chicago, Paris, Brussels and Latitude Festival.

I've had a bit of a roller-coaster ride with the car.

The alternator finally siezed, history tells me that when these mechanical devices make strange noises it is time for action. I left it too long and it finally failed on the way to work. Called the RAC, response time 1 1/2 hours, so I whipped the offending device out, dismantled it on the roadside, freed it and had it back in the car within 20 mins. It was still complaining a bit (mild screeching) but I decided to risk the journey home and called off the RAC. Had to rent a car for 24 hours as I was due to pick my daughters up that night.

Excellent service from the car hire company (www.marshallrental.co.uk), Marshalls at St Neots. I called them at 8:45 and by 9:15 they had a car delivered, thanks for getting me out of a hole! Just a shame it was a Peugeot.

No comments:

Post a Comment